Saturday, October 10, 2009

 

Job Hunt

So far, I've applied with The Veteran's Administration, Homeland Security, See's Candy, and with Grassroots Campaigns.

"Grassroots Campaign?" you ask.

Well, yes, Grassroots Campaign.

You see, in their Craig's List want ad they said they were hiring help to raise funds for the Save the Children organization, which is a respectable international charity. I actually applied unsuccessfully for a job with Save the Children right after I graduated from BYU.

So, going in for my interview with Grassroots I was serious about the job but also very curious about how it would be to work within a progressive organization.

There were about eight of us in the group portion of the interview. A cheerful young lady with blue hair briefed us on the different campaigns they were interviewing for. The other campaigns were very progressive ones, but she gave lots of time to the one I'm interested in so I didn't leave when she asked if anyone was uncomfortable with the liberal agenda.

In my one-on-one interview with another young lady, I confided that I was not politically progressive, and that I was only interested in the one campaign. The interviewer explained that at this agency they want people to function as a team. They would like buy-in from all their employees for each campaign d'jour. We bantered good naturedly for a few minutes, but agreed the position was not a good match for me. She said she'd call me if they ever need help on a specific campaign where my interests and skills were needed. I think we became friends, but I don't think she will call.

Nice people, though.

Comments:
You are so polite about this situation. I think you could also say, you were turned down for a job offer because you support prop 8.
Sasha
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?